Friday, March 10, 2023

Poetic Musings: Whirling News Tanka by M. Kei

the world outside,
full of the whirling news
of destruction ...
but inside,
this cup of tea

2013 Best of the Best Tanka, Lyrical Passion Poetry E-Zine

M. Kei

Commentary:  A clear contrast is drawn between the world outside, L1 (full of the whirling news / of destruction..., Ls 2&3) and inside the N's room, L4 (this cup of tea, L5), underlining the differences, thematic, visual, emotional, and most importantly, sociopolitical. And evaluated in the thematic context of armed conflict as implied from Ls 2&3, L5 effectively embodies this calming symbol of peace and leisure.  

However, what's left unsaid in the tanka is whether or not the destruction/violence will spill over into a "room of one's own."  This "reader takeaway/the unanswered question" reminds me of Beady Eye's "World Outside My Room:"

I wake up smiling in my little Eden, pay no heed to the world outside
Take my medication and hide
Whose been smoking cherry cola, somebody trying to live the dream
I rattle as I reach to dust the screen

Out the door it might be snowing in my world it's always June
I don't believe in the world outside my room
Television and dusty windows, fill my head with a happy tune
I don't believe in the world outside my room
I don't believe in the world outside my room

And my tanka below could be read as a sequel/personal response to Kei's:

night news on mute ...
I look out at the stars
breathe in
the silence of a world
longing for tenderness

Tanka Origins, 4, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment