Friday, April 26, 2024

Butterfly Dream: The Void Haiku by Rachel Sutcliffe

English Original

childless ...
I hug a teddy bear
into the void

FemkuMag, 1, June 2018

Rachel Sutcliffe


Chinese Translation (Traditional)

沒有孩子
我擁抱一隻泰迪熊
留在虛空之中

Chinese Translation (Simplified)

没有孩子
我拥抱一只泰迪熊
留在虚空之中


Bio Sketch

Rachel Sutcliffe had suffered from a serious immune disorder for over 16 years; throughout  this time writing had been her therapy, and it kept her from going insane! She was an active member of the British Haiku Society and has been published in various journals including  Prune JuiceFailed Haiku and Hedgerow.

1 comment:

  1. L1 sets the theme and mood while unexpected yet visually and emotionally poignant L3, enhanced by the significance, sociocultural and symbolic, of L2, adds emotional weight and psychological depth to the haiku

    And blow is my poetic response, a tanka, to Rachel's haiku:

    I turn off lights
    to calm myself once again
    in the sonless dark
    the worm of sin crawls
    out of my wandering heart

    And it could be also read as a sequel to my tanka below:

    divorced for years
    alone in my room
    I watch sunlight
    sift slowly
    into the sonless dark

    Atlas Poetica, 40, 2020

    ReplyDelete