Saturday, November 23, 2019

Poetic Musings: Intense Gaze Tanka by Chen-ou Liu

I look away
from his intense gaze …
this homeless man
speaks English
with an accent like mine

Honorable Mention, Tanka Section, 2017 British Haiku Society Awards

Chen-ou Liu

Judge's commentary: The tanka I chose for honorable mention represent a mix of themes from the traditional to the contemporary. ... “I look away” is a contemporary poem that speaks to what is happening worldwide as streets and cities are flooded with the homeless. This intimate moment between two countrymen who had quite different outcomes in their lives suggests a survivor’s guilt that many of us feel when coming across the homeless.

1 comment:

  1. Following are my three other accent tanka, which were written in the context of immigration, identity, and nostalgia:

    "Home, Sweet Home"
    fading off the radio ...
    that rainy day
    I sang "O Canada"
    with a heavy accent

    Haiku Canada Review, 12:2, October 2018

    my young friend
    now speaks English
    without an accent ...
    the wulong tea I drink
    tasting so bitter

    Ribbons, 12:3, Fall 2016

    everyone I meet
    speaks with a funny accent...
    in dreams
    I return to my hometown
    an ocean away

    Lynx, 27:1, February, 2012

    ReplyDelete