Wednesday, April 15, 2020

One Man's Maple Moon: Sad Eyes Tanka by Frank Dietrich

English Original

staring back at me
from the mirror
my father’s face
with the sad eyes
of my mother

Frank Dietrich


Chinese Translation (Traditional)

父親的臉
帶有母親
的悲傷眼睛
從鏡子裡的映影
凝視著我

Chinese Translation (Simplified)

父亲的脸
带有母亲
的悲伤眼睛
从镜子里的映影
凝视着我


Bio Sketch

Born in Berlin, Frank Dietrich now lives in Düsseldorf, Germany, where he works as an English teacher and private tutor. He studied English literature in London (UK) and Germany.

2 comments:

  1. Enhanced by the inversion technique with a special emphasis on "staring" that bookends the tanka with the "sad eyes" of the speaker's mother, this middle-of-the-story tanka effectively builds, line by line, to a visually and emotionally powerful ending that reveals the tensions in the parent and adult child relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frank's "reflection in the mirror" tanka reminds me of the following tanka with a thematic focus on one parent (only) re/published on NeverEnding Story:

      how can I be
      so angry
      over her remark ...
      look long in the mirror
      see my father staring back

      NeverEnding Story, December 15, 2016

      Thomas Martin


      these eyes
      staring back from the mirror
      no longer mine...
      when did I start living
      in denial?

      Chrysanthemum, October 2014

      Shloka Shankar


      this misty night
      I hold up a mirror
      to myself ...
      (what's the difference
      between my father and me?)

      NeverEnding Story, June 16, 2019

      Chen-ou Liu


      in the mirror
      Father's face and mine
      overlapping
      on New Year's morning
      I take an ice-cold shower

      Lynx, 28:3, October 2013

      Chen-ou Liu


      Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it.

      -- Ernest Holmes

      Delete