Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Hot News: 66 Tanka Selected for One Man's Maple Moon, Volume III

My Dear Friends:

I'm pleased to announce the following tanka selected for One Man's Maple Moon: 66 Selected English-Chinese Bilingual Tanka, Volume Three. The anthology is scheduled to be published in mid August. Each poet whose tanka is included in the anthology will receive a copy of  its e-book edition.

Please post to all appropriate venues. Your time and help would be greatly appreciated. And look forward to reading your tanka (see 2017 tanka anthology submission guidelines)

Happy Reading!

Chen-ou


Selected Tanka

you were lost
to the night as quick
as this moth
when midsummer haze
stole her compass moon

Honorable Mention, 2008 Saigyo Awards for Tanka

an'ya    

trailing the flames
of a sinking sun
heron wings
remind me
to be brave

The Bamboo Hut, Autumn 2014

Caroline Skanne

tumbling
through winter
she knew she didn't stay fit ...
a doll's life trapped
inside a young man’s body

NeverEnding Story, April 29, 2016

Sergio A. Ortiz

sensing
his loneliness
I hide my loneliness
in the tea cup
this cold afternoon

I'm a Traveler, 2011

Kozue Uzawa

f i s s u r e s
and (whose) fault lines
cracking open
we try to mend the damage
of our quaking lives

Undertow Tanka Review, 1, August 2014

Debbie Strange

migrating geese
writing cursive letters
across the sky
I finally read between
the white of your lies

Runner-up, British Haiku Society Tanka Awards, 2014-2015

Debbie Strange

some days
I regard you as the girl
with a delicate nape
at other times
the comrade I rely on

Eucalypt, 2, 2007

Aya Yuhki

no wine    no moon
still
I make my song
from this pool of lamplight
and the void around me

NeverEnding Story, February 15, 2016

Larry Kimmel

his eulogy --
these trivial thoughts trickling
through my grief,
while raindrops are handed down
from leaf to leaf to leaf

Lynx, 13:3, 1998

Larry Kimmel

mourning the loss
of loved ones ...
I find comfort
in the slow release
of autumn leaves

NeverEnding Story, February 26, 2016

Anne Curran

another city
another market
so mundane
so commonplace ...
’til the bombs fall

Eucalypt, 17,  2014

Marilyn Humbert

an orchid
beneath the vines
fails to flower --
my child snared
by mind-demons

Moonbathing, 12, Spring/Summer 2015

Marilyn Humbert

before i knew
a thing about war, or
of a bee's sting
i longed to be held
between your breasts

Biding Time: Selected Poems 2001-2013

H. Gene Murtha

ferris wheel,
go round and round!
memories last
one day for you
a lifetime for me

Ferris Wheel, 2006

Kyoko Kuriki

humming something
strange to me
my mother is somewhere else
the steady fall
of hibiscus blooms

All The Shells: 2014 TSA Members' Anthology

LeRoy Gorman

dwarfing a factory
built when Victoria was queen
a digital goddess
pitches underwear
for a perfect world

"The Garage, Not the Garden," Atlas Poetica, 2014

LeRoy Gorman

empty beds
in the old house
at night
the furnace whispers
its litany of names

Gusts, 16, Fall/Winter 2012

Brian Zimmer

the doctor tells us
of the baby's heart murmur --
outside the hospital window
snow half way
down the distant mountain

Honorable Mention, 2006 TSA International Tanka Contest

Michael Dylan Welch

lost
in the sharpening
of my words,
I need a strong blade
for this broken pencil

Selected Tanka, Gusts, 22, Fall/Winter 2015

Sanford Goldstein

you speak of grief
as if it were punishment
a curse, a blight
I sing it as a lullaby
for the child I never held

A Hundred Gourds, 4:2, March 2015

Sonam Chhoki

grandma tucks
his old hat
in her cedar chest
unable to pack
grief with it

Moonbathing, 11, Fall/Winter 2014

Karen O’Leary

this war ...
what colour
are the shadows
of guns
or the tears of a widow?

Moonbathing, 11, Fall/Winter 2014

Keitha Keyes

sometimes
wishing the time away    
sometimes
wanting it to stand still
… a river flows to the sea

Cattails, January 2015

Keitha Keyes

hush at the pond
where you spent many days
angling
your loneliness is still there
among the weeping willows

First Pprize, 5th Kokako International Tanka Competition

Djurdja Vukelic Rozic

Milky Way swirling
in martini glasses
with each sip
we swallow
star after star

A Solitary Woman, 2013

Pamela A. Babusci

when the sun sinks low
refugees' shadows conglobulate
over the wired border ...
a tender lullaby
softens the wind

Back Cover Tanka, Ribbons, 12:1, Winter 2016

Lavana Kray

linden blossoms
softly falling between
our silences --
we are but two strangers
sitting on the same bench

First Prize, 2015 UHTS Fleeting Words Contest

Steliana Cristina Voicu

at day’s end
cows and their shadows
drift in the fields . . .
grazing on grass
tinged with gold

Eucalypt, 18, 2015

Simon Hanson

Mother’s Day
at the seniors’ home
the old ladies
dressed up, waiting
for kids who aren’t coming

NeverEnding Story, May 8, 2016

Ignatius Fay

she'd have been
twelve today ...
her hello kitty mug
warming my hands
on this winter morning

NevenEdning Story, May 13, 2016

Jackson Smith

out of the flames
still tasting the ash
a Phoenix ...
how quickly the old life crumbles
scattered by wind and time

NeverEnding Story, July 17, 2016

Rebecca Drouilhet

the calligraphy
of winter branches
under blue sky
everything he needs to say
in the touch of his hands

GUSTS, 20, Fall/Winter 2014

Susan Constable

the veena
mom played everyday --
an off note
as my fingers brush
years of dust away

Editor’s Choice Tanka, Cattails, May 2015

Shrikaanth Krishnamurthy

riding our bikes
alongside factories --
we watch the sun
set on rows
of broken windows

NeverEnding Story, June 14, 2016

Robyn Cairns

in Mother's attic
boxes of souvenirs --
which one holds
the pieces of my heart
torn apart by bullies?

Moonbathing, Fall/Winter 2014

Joyce S. Greene

in the shadow
of the giant cottonwood
your empty chair
my fingertips search the bark
our initials barely there

Blithe Spirit, 25:4, 2015

Marilyn Fleming

his first move
in forty-four years
furniture
bound like mummies
in swathes of plastic wrap

Eucalypt, 19, November 2015

Janet Lynn Davis

his tragic crash
headlines for two days
then is displaced
by a campus rape
and life continues

Bent Arm for a Pillow, 2016

Naomi Beth Wakan

being a German
the privilege
of pronouncing
Beethoven and Dachau
without an accent

The Tanka Journal, 47, 2015

Tony Boehle

white clouds
blue sky
quilting by
wind
and contrails   

Gusts, 20,  Fall/Winter 2014

Edna Searles

always beyond
the circle of her bedside lamp
darkness
but on the hospice wall
she sees a painted sunrise

cattails, September 2015

Maria Tomczak

in the supplicant
gaze of this deer
the eyes
of all my lost dead
looking back at me

The Tanka Journal, 40, 2012

Susan Mary Wade

seeking the past
I look through old photos
outside my window
clouds snow bare trees
the world in black and white

Gusts, 11, Spring/Summer 2010

Munira Judith Avinger

September rain
and a few wine-dark leaves
tumbling
into a day
of shared loss

Moonbathing, 9, Fall/Winter 2013

Carol Purington

honking geese
pass over rooftops
same time each evening --
such loneliness
in close formations

Blithe Spirit, 25:1, 2015

Tim Gardiner

this morning
whiff of jasmine
in my room --
amid my silence
his last words still echo

The Bamboo Hut, 2:1, 2014

Archana Kapoor Nagpal

these eyes
staring back from the mirror
no longer mine...
when did I start living
in denial?

Chrysanthemum, October 2014

Shloka Shankar

We talk about
which one of us will stay
who will go
the stone in my heart
when did it become my heart

Fire Pearls, 2, 2013

Sylvia Forges-Ryan

the stillness inside
the stillness of snow
falling on snow
nothing left to try
but the letting go                             

Member's Choice Tanka, Ribbons, 7:4, 2011

James Chessing

her to do list
so much longer than mine --
here I sit
biting an apple
down to the core

American Tanka, 25, 2015

Lesley Anne Swanson

The wind spins
leaves on the birch
faces
      of sorrow
faces of light

NeverEnding Story, October 19, 2016

Mark Gordon

observe the butterfly
under glass
a garden
eternal
in its silence

still 4: three, 2000

ai li

the fog doesn't
come on little cat feet,
Mr Sandburg;
it shuffles in the wake
of the minimum-waged                            

A Hundred Gourds, 5:1, December 2015

Bob Lucky

this beach
charges me nothing
to walk among
the sea rack and
shards of memory

Heron Sea,Short Poems of the Chesapeake Bay, 2007

M. Kei

in the park
a butterfly shadow
on the marigold
my niece's first birthday
without her father

NeverEnding Story, November 15, 2016

Nicholas Klacsanzky

a world
beyond thought
the river flows
into light
like a swan

Presence, 56, 2016

A A Marcoff

all my life
I expect no grand bouquet
yet wish for
someone to greet me
with a single flower

Scribblings Award, Eucalypt, 14, 2013

Kiyoko Ogawa

how can I be
so angry
over her remark ...
look long in the mirror
see my father staring back

NeverEnding Story, December 15, 2016

Thomas Martin

the slump
of fallen wires
after the storm
I carry the moon
on my back

A Hundred Gourds, 4:3, June 2015

Mary Davila

by the fountain
with a ring encircling
my finger ...
all I knew then
was the word forever

The Bluebird’s Cry, 2016

Christine L. Villa

beside me
an illusory chair --
no more nights now
of waiting
and longing for him

Ferris Wheel, 2006

Tamiko Ohnishi

life’s rough and tumble
give and take
somehow
my heart becalmed
by the rhythm of the sea

Tanka Poets On Site, September 6, 2015

Michele L. Harvey

the disease
spreading inside my friend
like a white fern
made of frost
on the window glass

NeverEnding Story, January 29, 2017

Patricia Prime

endless rain ...
at the sudden news
of your death
I remember the dove
in your last painting

NeverEnding Story, February 10, 2017

Marion Clarke

a dead skunk’s
open mouth drinks
the cold rain
in a marshy field
I wait for honeysuckle

NeverEnding Story, February 25, 2017

Anna Cates

a year has passed
since the end of the war --
living longer
I fear the world,
and death, too

The Prism of Mokichi, 2013

Saito Mokichi

1 comment:

  1. Dear Chen-ou,

    I am so excited to be a part of this amazing collection. What a gift you are to the Asian poetry community. Thank you so much!

    Best wishes and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete