Sunday, August 1, 2021

A Room of My Own: Covidsomnia Haiku

Two Hundred and Forty-Second Entry, Coronavirus Poetry Diary

distant sirens
break the predawn stillness
Covidsomnia


AddedTwo Hundred and Forty-Third Entry

one crow on the wire now three more variants on the rise


Added: Two Hundred and Forty-Fourth Entry

heat shimmer
a spike-studded virus
branded on my door

Note: The haiku is a prequel to the following poem:

Asians all look the same...

yet, with the sharpness of an eagle's eyes, this white man still manages to hone in on the most vulnerable and defenceless.

an uptick
in new variant cases
another
Asian-looking old man 
knocked to the muddy ground

In the dark tunnel of my daymare with no light at its end, I dash to and fro, but settle nowhere. I can feel a bull's eye on my back.


Chen-ou Liu

1 comment:

  1. If you wanna step into the lights
    Well, I'm warning you, be wise
    Nothing goes unnoticed

    If you wanna lead or be a star
    Then expose all that you are
    Are you sure you want this now?
    They will only tear you down

    Cause' they're waiting just like crows on a wire
    They pry and conspire, that's all they do
    Waiting to consume and devour
    The glory and power they gave to you ....

    -- excerpted from "Crows on a Wire," by Alter Bridge

    ReplyDelete