Friday, December 9, 2022

Poetic Musings: Mating Ritual Haiku by Nancy Brady

mating ritual ...
bald eagles' talons entangle
spiraling in freefall

Blo͞o Outlier Journal, 3, 2022

Nancy Brady

Commentary: L1 sets the theme and mood of this shasei (sketch from life) haiku while visually and emotionally arresting image of Ls 2&3 gives the reader a striking glimpse of bald eagles' courtship ritual, in which bald eagles literally do grab talons and spiral downward (watch this YouTube clip, titled "bald eagles mating ritual"). 

One of the benefits of natural history poetry is that we get to learn. Nature is so vast and diverse that even the most informed of us cannot hope to understand it all.

-- President, Jay Friedenberg, "Haiku Society of America December 2022 Newsletter"

I couldn't agree more with Jay as indicated in my bald eagles mating haiku below:

bald eagles mating
in mid-air, I spread my mind
wider and wider

Haiku Society of America Members’ Anthology, 2019

Chen-ou Liu

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for publishing my haiku on the mating rituals of bald eagles. I volunteer at Old Woman Creek National Estuarine Research Center. Every February over the estuary, many eagles meet to mate there, and I am fortunate enough to be able to see all the wonders of nature. ~Nancy Brady (AKA the pedometer geek) www.nbsmithblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete