Sunday, July 19, 2020

Cool Announcement: HSA's Presentation, Exaggerated Perspective in Haiku, by Deborah P Kolodji

My Dear Friends:

Last weekend the Haiku Society of America (HSA) held its first ZOOM meeting! NeverEnding Story contributor, Deborah P Kolodji, presented one segment, entitled "Exaggerated Perspective in Haiku," where she analyzed the use of exaggerate perspectives in the works of Issa, Hokusai and some contemporary haiku poets. Here are some haiku selected from her presentation.

little snail
inch by inch, climb
Mount Fuji

Issa

(FYI: My haiku below is written for Issa

a snail stretching
after summer rain
Mount Fuji

seashores, 4, 2020 )

autumn mist
we taste our way through
the orchard

Marion Clarke

darkened village
the bat's calls bouncing off
the Milky Way

Loris John Fazio

gray morning
the whole world
a foghorn

Deborah P Kolodji

beach dinner
the papad in her hand
dwarfs the moon

Kala Ramesh
(FYI: A papad is a thin, disk-shaped food from India made from flour)

heartland
the world winnowed down
to wheat

Alan S. Bridges

14, 000 feet
the mountain disappears
into my breathing

David Elliott

wishing well
I scoop out
the moon

Lucy whitehead

(FYI: The image of scooping the moon in Lucy Whitehead's "wishing well haiku," first published in Stardust, March 2019, reminds me of the concluding haiku of  my immigration haibun, Following the Moon to the Maple Land:

Name: Chen-ou Liu (phonic);
Country of Birth: R.O.C.;
(Cross out R.O.C. and fill in Taiwan)
Place of Birth; Date of Birth; Sex;
simply more technocratic questions
the Immigration Officer needs to pin down my borders.
He is always looking for shortcuts,
more interested in the roadside signposts
than in the landscape that has made me.
The line he wants me confined to
is an analytically recognizable category:
immigrant. My history is meticulously stamped.
Now, you're legally a landed immigrant.
Take a copy of A Newcomer’s Introduction to Canada.

from Lake Ontario
I scoop the Taiwan moon
distant sirens



Happy Reading

Chen-ou

Note: For further discussion on exaggerate perspective in haiku, see my "To the Lighthouse" post, A Rhetorical Device, Hyperbole.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. It was so wonderful to hear how the different speakers interpreted 'autumn mist.'

    Marion

    ReplyDelete