Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Poetic Musings: Basho's Old Pond Haiku Translated by Cid Corman

THE
old pond
                              frog leaping
                splash

One Man's Moon, 2003

Cid Corman

Commentary: It's nicer, because you don't need so many words, you don't need so many syllables to say; but it's word for word the Japanese. But I also point out by the structure that it's one phrase that's really all modifying the word "splash." [Reads the poem again.] And that deepens the poem -- if people read. But, of course, many people don't. There's far more happening than is on the surface; and you have to read the poems over and over again; and you must say them aloud, if you want to understand the work: My poems are meant to be voiced -- all of them; and you won't get the layout of the poems without feeling that. I don't know when I start a poem what it's going to say: I have no idea. I'm always surprised...-- excerpted from Cid Corman with Philip Rowland: The Conversation Continues

FYI: For more about Cid Corman's view of translation, To the Lighthouse: The Art of Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment