Thursday, September 29, 2022

A Room of My Own: Birthday Dinner

in memory of my hard-working father 

birthday dinner
Father's mud-caked work boots
on the welcome mat


AddedThree Hundred and Forty-Eighth Entry, Coronavirus Poetry Diary
for my father who passed away on January 5th in Taiwan

alone in dim light
missing Father worlds apart ...
Zoom funeral

FYI: This haiku could be read as a prequel to the following tanka set written on Father's Day, 2022

An Ocean Away, Worlds Apart
for my father who passed away on January 5th in Taiwan

I circle
round and round the edges
of something 
inside me, unarticulated ...
seven weeks since Father died
(FYI: The typical mourning period after a Chinese funeral is 49 days after death)

on my cellphone
the gravestone wet with dew ...
this grief for dad
is it actually love 
with nowhere to go?


And This tanka set could be read as a prequel to the following tanka published today:

For my father who was born in mainland China, lived most of his adult life in Taiwan, died and was buried there

this dream loop:
riding on my shoulders
into the Taiwan Strait
Father cries out, Mama!
wait for me, I'm coming home

No comments:

Post a Comment