Sunday, July 28, 2024

A Room of My Own: Chemical Queen Tanka

darkness between the stars
this sultry night my roommate
vanishes again
into the hive of drug addicts
to serve his chemical queen


Added:

smell of summer heat
shards of glass and syringes
around the dumpster


Added:

the cardboard box
in a high-rise shadow
bread crumbs


Added: Against the Drowning Noise of Other Words, LXXXIII: "thousand-yard stare"

her thousand-yard stare ...
a young woman hugs a doll
dripping blood


FYI: "The thousand-yard stare or two-thousand-yard stare is a military phrase coined to describe the limp, unfocused gaze of a battle-weary soldier, but the symptom it describes may also be found among victims of other types of trauma."


Added:

a growth of moss
on the high fence between me
and my neighbor ...
could anything change
if I apologized first


FYI: This could be read as a sequel to my tanka below:

my morning glories
climb her white fence ...
between us
in the backyard
there's a new divide

Haiku Canada Review, 11:2, 2017 

No comments:

Post a Comment