Saturday, September 27, 2014

Hot News: Debbie Strange Featured in Cattails

My writing is mainly informed by experiences in both my emotional world and the natural world. Words are my solace and salvation. I am inspired by the very shape of words, their cadence, meaning and power. I breathe words, write words and sing words. In return, they bless me, heal me and save me. -- Debbie Strange


My Dear Readers:

NeverEnding Story contributor Debbie Strange is the featured poet in the September Issue of Cattails. Below is an excerpt:


first published haiku:                              first published tanka:

sere grasses...                                       on sagebrush prairie
summer threads                                     the whirring grasshoppers
unraveling                                              and trilling larks
                                                              sing a lamentation hymn 
kernelsonline,  2013                              for my sister’s stone ears
                             
                                                              Notes from the Gean, August 2013

Looking back on my first publications, I see how my work has evolved. Brevity is a difficult concept to grasp for a self-confessed “adjective addict”, but I’m learning that less is more. The minimalist nature of Japanese short form poetry appeals to me. I like to see the black bones of a poem on the page, with nothing distracting from, or confining the words. The general lack of capitalization, punctuation, and complex line breaks makes for an austerity and starkness on the page that I find aesthetically pleasing.


on the tundra
caging a winter sky
caribou bones

3rd Place, AHA Contest, May 2014

red-tailed hawk . . .
on a telephone pole
the prairie listens

The Heron’s Nest, 15:4, December 2013

a starling
m  u  r m  u  r  a  t  i  o n
sifting the sky
she recalls the moment
her life changed shape

A Hundred Gourds,  3:3, June 2014

on father’s coffin
the cowboy hat and polished boots
of a prairie Gael
the skirling pipes
that sing him home

Skylark, 1:2,  Winter 201


You can read the full text here. Enjoy the read.

Chen-ou

No comments:

Post a Comment